Highlights from my 2021
- We saw our families for the first time after more than a year away.
- I earned the best job I’ve ever had.
- I was published in one new literary journal.
- I was exhibited in two new art galleries.
- I was accepted into a prestigious novel-writing program.
- I found a new place to live with my best friend / creative partner / husband.
- I deepened fledgling friendships into true sisterhood.
- I learned to boogie board in Maui, which scratched my itchy wild side in a way I haven’t felt since I quit drinking.
- I celebrated five years sober. (!!!!!)
- I passed through something, some darkness I have been navigating for 20 years. I have finally found my way to the home inside myself. I’ve opened the front door. I’ve stepped inside. Next year, I’ll figure out how to turn the lights on.
And, of course, I got to know Tina Turner better. 😉 This quote from the documentary TINA is my favorite of the year:
Look at what I have done in this lifetime with this body. I’m a girl from a cotton field that pulled myself above what was not taught to me.
— Tina Turner
I hope you have the very best new year. (“Simply the best,” perhaps?)
Keep pulling yourself above what was not taught to you.
We’re almost home.